Did you bike to work or school today? It’s the 20th anniversary of the first Bike to Work day, which got started right here in the East Bay! Biking has been on the rise, for good reason: it’s a great way to exercise, create a more enjoyable commute, potentially save money and shrink your impact on our ecosystem in one easy ride. For those who would like to travel by bike more, here are several tools, events and resources that can get you safely rolling:
- 511.org bicycling page includes bike route maps for the entire Bay Area, and a bike safety video.
- East Bay Bike Coalition puts out paper maps that are available at their member-bike shops, go here to find where you can purchase them.
- Our website has an EcoDirectory with listings for bike shops, local bike groups and organizations.
- Alameda County Safe Routes to Schools works to encourage safe biking and walking to and from schools.
- This Saturday, May 11th, Waterside Workshops is having a used bike sale. Check it out for two-wheel options for the whole family.