Recycling is vital to the health of our planet and helps the Berkeley community in very practical ways. By recycling paper, plastic, glass, and metal, you play an important part in protecting our climate, preserving our resources, and reducing our dependence on fossil fuels. You also help to provide good, green-collar jobs. Do your part. Use your cart.
To read the full details, please click here: About Berkeley Curbside Recycling
Recycle, compost, or landfill? Click on Resourceful to learn where to put your discards.
Our COVID-19 health guidelines are listed below: COVID-19 Guidelines
For information on your cart replacement: Recycling Cart Replacement
As the COVID-19 pandemic persists, we want to assure you that the Ecology Center will continue to provide high-quality Curbside Recycling collection in Berkeley. We are here to provide you with essential services like Curbside Recycling and Farmers’ Markets. Even during this uncertain time, we should all continue to recycle to save natural resources, energy, and water, and prevent waste.
CARDBOARD COLLECTION NOTICE: WE HAVE RESUMED PICK-UP!
(updated as of 10/14/2020)
- Flatten your cardboard. Increased online purchasing can generate a lot of cardboard. Do not wedge cardboard into the cart, for larger boxes bundle your cardboard. You can leave 1 tape or twine-secured bundle per week up to 3ft. X 3ft. X 1ft next to your cart or collection.
- Any excess cardboard can be dropped off at the Berkeley Recycling Center located at 669 Gilman Street.
To be mindful of the COVID-19 health emergency, we are taking extra precautions. Below are a few of the additional steps our staff and drivers are taking to interrupt the spread of the virus.
- Continuing to use appropriate personal protective equipment during curbside recycling collection.
- Asking staff or drivers to stay home if they exhibit any symptoms or have been exposed to the virus.
- Staggering our start times. This allows us to maintain social distancing at the workplace and en route.
- Tele-working for administrative staff who can work at home while sheltering-in-place.
- Remaining in close communication with the City of Berkeley and standing ready to adjust operations accordingly.
To support the safe and efficient running of your Curbside Recycling Service, we ask that you observe the following:
- Keep being outstanding recyclers. Separating your recyclables helps us reclaim high-quality materials for the recycled commodities markets. Place your cans, bottles, jugs, and tubs under the blue lid and place your paper and cardboard under the brown lid. Please don’t wish cycle; if you have to guess, it probably is not recyclable. As always, no styrofoam, plastic bags, pouches, or flexible film.
- Park your vehicle close to the curb. With so many residents sheltering-in-place, it can be more difficult to get our large trucks through narrow streets.
- Please observe proper hygiene when handling carts. Recycling cart handles are a high-touch surface in a public area.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6’ when our drivers approach.
- Fill your cart before putting it out for pickup. Reducing the number of carts at the curb makes for more effective and consistent service. Flattening cans and plastic bottles before placing them into your cart could increase your usable volume between collection days.
Additional details you should know:
- The Berkeley Curbside Recycling Hotline (510.527.5555) will remain staffed. If you call after hours please leave a detailed message with your address, name, phone number, and service request.
- Public access to the Berkeley Recycling Center at 669 Gilman Street was reopened on Monday, June 1st.
At the Ecology Center, we are committed to delivering safe and consistent essential services throughout this public health emergency. Thank you for your commitment to helping us serve our community during this challenging time.
Wishing you and your dear ones good health and well-being,
Ecology Center Curbside Recycling
Call Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM