HOW TO RECYCLE:
Use your split-cart to sort recyclables through the week. Once full, roll your cart to the curb in front of your house by 7 AM the day your trash is collected. Make sure your cart is in plain view. To help discourage theft and litter problems, put your carts out in the morning rather than at night.
Use the Blue Side For:
- glass bottles and jars
- steel, tin, aerosol and aluminum cans
- clean, rigid plastic containers
- aluminum foil and pie plates.
Please NO: plastic bags, straws, Styrofoam, window glass, ceramics, Pyrex, or crystal.
Remove food and rinse containers before recycling. Flatten plastic. Caps and lids are allowed if attached to containers.
Use the Brown Side For:
- newspapers and inserts
- office paper
- small cardboard pieces
- paperback books and phonebooks
- mail, magazines, and catalogs
- paperboard like cereal boxes or egg cartons
Please NO: food-soiled paper or wax cartons, tissue or paper towels, soymilk or juice boxes, or plastic or foil-coated paper or cardboard.
Do not wedge large cardboard boxes in your cart. Cut to fit in cart, or flatten into a 3’x3’x1′ bundle and place next to your cart for pick up.
CARDBOARD COLLECTION NOTICE: WE HAVE RESUMED PICK-UP!
(updated as of 10/14/2020)
- Flatten your cardboard. Increased online purchasing can generate a lot of cardboard. Do not wedge cardboard into the cart, for larger boxes bundle your cardboard. You can leave 1 tape or twine-secured bundle per week up to 3ft. X 3ft. X 1ft next to your cart or collection.
- Any excess cardboard can be dropped off at the Berkeley Recycling Center located at 669 Gilman Street.
Recycling Cart Replacement
For more information on your recycling cart replacement, please click here: Recycling Cart Replacement