Part-time; Non-exempt, Temporary; Hourly Position
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 45-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe, stable climate.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Ecology Center Youth Internship is a paid training and internship program that combines leadership and professional development with hands-on green job training. Interns report to the Youth Development Program Manager, and explore issues of environmental justice, food justice and sustainability during their internship. Youth Interns support youth leadership within the Ecology Center‘s Youth Environmental Academy.
- Support environmental literacy training, and lead experiential learning opportunities (visits, and tours).
- Support setup, food demos, and operations of produce stands at Farm Fresh Choice and at Farmer’s Markets
- Support additional projects such as ongoing activities with Ecology Center’s Store, EcoHouse, BASIL and Berkeley Climate Action Committee.
- Participate in activities to promote the Youth Environmental Academy and community engagement with the youth program. Activities might include: tabling, photography, and hosting workshops for other youth groups.
- Track attendance and Roots of Success completion for Youth Environmental Academy participants.
- Provide general support including but not limited to: event set up and break down, food preparation, light gardening, basic bike maintenance, community outreach, customer service and other administrative tasks.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four completed Root of Success modules or equivalent environmental literacy training.
- Recent proven success completing a multi-month project/extracurricular activity/job or internship. Demonstrated timeliness, reliability, leadership, and follow-through.
- Computer skills such as e-mail, web browsing, word processing, and other professional applications.
- Ability to work outdoors in any weather.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to twenty five (25) pounds
Up to 10 hours per week for a 3 – 6 month term. Term starts in late January 2016. Saturday and after-school hours are available.
$12 per hour
How to Apply:
- Submit a completed Ecology Center application. Click here to access application.
- Submit a cover letter telling us why you would be a good candidate for this position. Tell us about your experience serving your community or about a time when you helped your community be healthier or more sustainable. Cover letters should be 500 words or less.
Please email all application materials as attachments to Elyse Rainey at email@example.com. Printed application materials can also be dropped off at Ecology Center’s reception desk Tuesdays through Sundays from 11:00 am – 6:00 pm. Ecology Center is located at 2530 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA
If you are receiving support with your application or cover letter from a case manager, mentor, or another adult ally, please provide the name and phone number of your helper in your cover letter and, if applicable, the organization they work for.
Please apply as soon as possible as this position may close at any time. Applications will not be accepted for this posting after November 11, 2015.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA