The Ecology Center Store carries a unique selection of products that are carefully vetted to fulfill our mission: to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future. Below is a list of considerations that we bear in mind when selecting which products to offer.
We consider whether a particular product is:
- good for the environment or better than conventional alternatives
- made from sustainable, organically grown, or recycled materials
- affordable and durable
- reusable, repairable, biodegradable, or compostable
- compatible with sustainable practices or resource conservation
- reflective of multicultural values
- produced locally
We generally avoid products that are:
- packaged in non-reusable, non-recyclable or excessive packaging
- made from substances that are harmful to the environment, the end user, or the workers who produce it
- disposable, if there is a good reusable alternative
- made from plastic or other products that are derived from petroleum
- made from genetically modified crops
We favor vendors who share our values. We consider the following:
- Does the vendor make an effort to minimize waste in the production, transportation and marketing of its products?
- Does the vendor engage in fair labor and fair trade practices?
- Does the vendor contribute to environmental or socially conscious causes?
- Is the vendor engaged in any dishonorable behavior?
If you are a vendor of a product that aligns with the Ecology Center Store mission and product policy, contact our Store Program Manager to discuss the potential of the Ecology Center carrying your product.