The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 47-year-old nonprofit located in west Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The EcoStore Program Manager is responsible for management and oversight of all store operations within the Ecology Center, as well as developing marketing and promotion strategies to attract more customers and improve sales, and managing inventory. The EcoStore Manager is responsible for enhancing and maintaining the Store’s curb appeal and the attractiveness of its interior through decor, display, and signage. The Manager also plans and hosts special events related to EcoStore books and products. The EcoStore Manager reports directly to the Program Director and supervises a staff of 1-3 staff members.
- Oversee all store operations and conduct sales during regular business hours and at special events.
- Work in collaboration with an advisory team to develop strategies for attracting a larger and more diverse customer base, improving sales and provide access to unique green products not readily found elsewhere.
- Oversee the creation and development of attractive, effective merchandising and marketing strategies.
- Organize and oversee special events, book signings, and other promotional activities.
- Review and revise the store product selection, evaluating potential products in accordance with our values, vision, and criteria.
- Attend relevant trade shows and events where new products are introduced.
- Oversee the ordering and receiving of store merchandise, as well as product returns.
- Update and maintain inventory system and perform annual inventory at year’s end.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate performance of store employees.
- Prepare and oversee schedule of store employee shifts and ensure adequate coverage.
- Ensure that store staff practices observe good customer service practices at all times.
- Ensure that store staff observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain the store till and purchase change as necessary, and ensure staff comply with established safe cash-handling procedures.
- Prepare Store deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds, and reconcile all store accounts and inventory.
- Prepare and oversee annual budget and progress reports for the board as needed.
- Process store invoices and forward to accounts payable in a timely manner.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience with and enjoy working with the public
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in use of a computerized cash register, computer, and ability to prepare reports using spreadsheets
- Marketing and merchandising skills
- Creativity, flexibility and ability to be simultaneously involved in numerous projects
- Ability to effectively supervise a team as well as to work cooperatively with other Ecology center staff
- Knowledge of environmental issues
- Must be detail oriented, accurate, efficient and well organized
- Ability to be punctual and on-time for work shifts, dependable and responsive to deadlines.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in Google Docs, Word, Excel, and willingness to acquire more technology knowledge and skills.
- Ability to contribute to a harmonious, diverse, fruitful, and supportive organizational culture.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license
- First Aid and CPR Certification (or willingness to become certified)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or
- High School diploma/GED and three years of increasingly responsible experience in a retail environment
- At least 2 years retail management experience, including purchasing merchandise for retail sales.
This position is 40 hrs/week, variable days with flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
Starting salary range is $45,000 to $52,500 annually, depending on qualifications. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and paid employee medical, dental, and optional vision plan.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “EcoStore Manager” as Subject Line.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position posting may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.