The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 47-year-old nonprofit located in west Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Program Associate-On-Call works under the direction of a Program Manager to perform a variety of tasks associated with Ecology Center programs. Duties may include cash-handling, customer service support for the Recycling and Education and Engagement programs, cash sales for the EcoStore, set-up, operational support, and break-down at the Berkeley Farmers’ Markets, and office support including clerical and administrative tasks.
- Perform and support duties related to operating Ecology Center programs including Recycling, EcoStore, Farmers’ Markets, and all other programs in accordance with the goals and strategies of the Ecology Center mission and strategic plan.
- Assist in management of the Ecology Center farmers’ markets including market set-up and breakdown, vendor parking-in, signage, load list distribution and collection, info booth set-up and staffing, volunteer coordination, token distribution, and other market activities.
- Provide excellent customer service through customer interactions including EcoStore sales, Education and Engagement program activities and events, Farmer’s Market token distribution, selling merchandise at the markets.
- Perform post-market duties including sorting recycling/compost, cleaning soiled receptacles and/or tables, replacing and/or repair any damaged equipment; perform cash-drawer open and close-out procedures for EcoStore.
- Ensure that all monies received are handled safely following established cash-handling procedures; assist in the preparation of deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds, and prepare change and tokens to be used, as needed, and cash drawer for next use.
- Track and report information as required including logs, receipt books, phone calls, and other activities as required.
- Perform administrative duties including answering phones, responding to emails, attending meetings and events.
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma/GED and one year of prior work experience required.
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations.
- Proven ability to assist in the management of on-site operations for the farmers’ market or similar small business enterprise.
- Competency with word processing and spreadsheets and ability and willingness to learn new applications as needed.
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including farmers, vendors, customers, neighbors and other members of the public.
- The ability and willingness to monitor and enforce policies with vendors and the public.
- Flexibility and creativity, ability to “think on your feet” and find appropriate solutions to unique challenges.
- Strong verbal communications skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work on a team.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
- Must have FirstAid and CPR certification, or be willing to become certified.
- Language proficiency in Spanish or Chinese
This position is part-time, on-call, up to 19 hours per week.
This position is paid at an hourly rate of $15.00 – $17.21/hour, depending on qualifications. This position is non-benefitted.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to email@example.com. Please use “Program Associate-On-Call” as Subject Line.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position posting may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.