The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 50-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
The Ecology Center has operated Berkeley’s Curbside Recycling Program since 1973! We were among the very first recycling programs in the US, and we continue to push toward our goals of Zero Waste and natural resource conservation.
Summary of Responsibilities
Residential Recycling Drivers are responsible for the collection and loading, and transportation of recyclables to the materials recycling facility. Drivers must constantly lift, carry, push, and pull bins weighing 15 to 75 pounds. Bending, stooping and lifting from ground level are required constantly. Driver is required to operate a commercial vehicle through challenging residential neighborhoods. Driver must mount and dismount the vehicle for each stop by ascending or descending a step of 17 inch height. Driver is responsible for the inspection, minor adjustment, fueling and cleaning of their collection vehicle. Driver must maintain a professional and courteous demeanor with the public and employer. Finally driver is responsible for maintaining reports and logs.
- Arrive on time in uniform, sufficiently rested and prepared for shift start.
- Perform a qualified pre-trip inspection of their service vehicle.
- Compile route instructions, and carry out collection duties as assigned.
- Collect all assigned recycling set outs, including exemption customers with special needs.
- Provide customer education materials and complete service exception forms as needed throughout workday.
- Refuel vehicle.
- Return to yard and offload vehicle.
- Perform a post-trip inspection of vehicle at end of shift.
- Complete DVIR and turn in all associated route collection materials & paperwork.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Commercial Class A or B with Air Brakes Endorsement.
- Clean driving record.
- Valid medical certification.
- Ability to pass a rigorous pre-employment physical fitness evaluation and 5-panel drug screen.
- 2 Years of commercial driving experience
This is a full to part-time position with hours ranging from 8-40 per week based on availability.
Wage starts at $25.65 per hour. This position is benefits-eligible once qualifying hours have been met.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter to Daniel Maher at
Open until filled. (Please note that this position posting may close at any time.)
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.