Temporary, Part-time, non-exempt (10 hours per week)
Summary of Responsibilities:
Healthy Food, Healthy Neighborhoods (HFHN) is a partnership of community organizations and public agencies that seek to increase access to healthy food retail and improve community health by facilitating the redesign of two South Berkeley liquor stores to sell healthy food products, including fresh produce. The HFHN Outreach Intern will conduct outreach activities to help identify which products community members would be interested in having for sale at the markets, and to inform community members about the program and the new availability of health retail.
Primary Responsibilities of the Healthy Food, Healthy Neighborhoods Outreach Intern:
- Work with partner organizations (including Ecology Center, Blood Pressure Project and Berkeley Youth Alternatives) to refine the outreach plan and develop a strategy and schedule for survey collection.
- Conduct surveys of shoppers and local residents to learn about which healthy food products that they would be interested in purchasing at their local market.
- Raise awareness about the program and pending store redesigns by distributing fliers, speaking to community groups, and attending neighborhood events such as farmers markets.
- Help to plan and implement a celebration event following the redesign of the market(s).
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the South Berkeley community.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Experience with grassroots organizations and projects.
- Computer skills such as e-mail, word processing, and other professional applications.
Approximately 8-10 hours per week, mostly out of the office. Schedule to be arranged.
$11 per hour. This position is an internship, expected to last 3 months.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/ and
- Send resume to Elyse Rainey at email@example.com
February 15, 2015. Expected Start Date, March 1, 2015.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE