100%; Full-time; Exempt; Benefitted
Ecology Center Background
The Ecology Center’s mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
The Food & Farming Program Manager leads work related to the California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets (the Alliance) a statewide farmers’ market industry group, founded and led by the Ecology Center. The Alliance is dedicated to promoting the direct farmer-to-consumer relationship, supporting small independent farmers, increasing the integrity and securing the future of Certified Farmers’ Markets throughout California. The Program Manager also oversees projects and program efforts to advance CalFresh/SNAP access and healthy food incentives statewide and nationally in a farm-direct setting.
Operations During COVID-19
At this time, this position requires work from home performing office duties. Once it is safe to do so, this position will resume working in the office from our office in Berkeley, California.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Food & Farming Program Manager staffs the California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets (the Alliance), serving as Chair for the Steering Committee and working with the Committee to execute project goals and work-plan. The Program Manager also collaborates with the Food & Farming Director and Farmers’ Market Access & Equity Program Manager, and leads on projects and program efforts to advance CalFresh/SNAP access and healthy food incentives statewide and nationally in a farm-direct setting. The Program Manager assists the Food & Farming Director in researching, developing and advocating for farmers’ market and food policy on behalf of the Ecology Center and the Alliance. This position reports to the Food and Farming Director.
- With Program Director, develop work-plan, goals, and objectives for the Programs in accordance with the Ecology Center’s mission, goals, and strategic plan
- Collaborate with Alliance Steering Committee to develop Alliance work-plan, goals, and objectives
- Manage and execute work-plan, goals, and deliverables associated with the Program, and all associated grants, including overall project management, contractor procurement and management, data tracking, grant reporting, and other grant deliverables
- With Program Director and Finance Team, develop and manage program budget following organizational policies and procedures; Ensure timely preparation and submission of payroll and invoices
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate performance of Program staff; Develop a collaborative team in managing all aspects of the Program.
- Represent Ecology Center’s mission values and goals to the general public, as well as decision-makers, elected officials, and partners.
- In collaboration with Program Director, lead National Incentive Program Training & Technical Assistance project, including working with national partners to design and execute training curriculum for other farm-direct Incentive providers nationally; Provide overall project management.
- Lead Ecology Center data maintenance and website development for the Farmers’ Market Finder (FMFinder.org) tool
- Lead Market Match and Alliance marketing, outreach and promotions campaigns and media features, including working with content and media developers, media placement consultants, the Alliance Steering Committee, Alliance membership, and Ecology Center communications staff
- Work with Program Staff and Alliance Steering Committee to coordinate and execute statewide and regional farmers’ market manager trainings, in-person and via webinar. Work with curriculum developers and Alliance leadership to update Farmers’ Market Manager Manual as needed
- Oversee bi-monthly Alliance Steering Committee meeting logistics, creation of agendas, sending of materials and reminder emails; oversee coordination and track subcommittee progress and outcomes, and provide support to subcommittees as needed.
- Work with Program Staff and Steering Committee to grow Alliance membership and income, develop new membership benefits and outreach tactics, recruit and track prospective and new members, and staff outreach events as needed.
- Oversee the Alliance’s data collection initiatives including technical assistance to Alliance membership on data collection initiatives; data entry and maintenance in order to feed statewide database, fundraise, and report for grants
- Represent Ecology Center and California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets interests to legislators and staff, farmers, farmers’ market operators, and the general public.
- In collaboration with Ecology Center communications team, lead the Alliance communications efforts, including the production and distribution of the Program’s electronic newsletter, the Alliance website, the Farmers’ Market Finder website, the program’s Facebook page and other social networking tools. Field initial phone calls and emails regarding California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets, and direct parties to appropriate resource or individual
- Participate in the identification of and application to grants and other fundraising efforts to support the work of the Alliance and Ecology Center
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or five years of related work experience
- Two years of grant and/or project management experience
- At least one year of experience supervising staff and developing collaborative teams
- May be required to work remotely, including from home for up to 100 percent time depending on organizational needs
- Demonstrated commitment to the Ecology Center mission and vision
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Knowledge of farmers’ markets and California’s direct marketing programs
- Strong familiarity or experience with local, statewide and national healthy food access programs; federal nutrition programs such as CalFresh and the Women Infants and Children (WIC) Program
- General environmental, farming, or social justice knowledge and literacy to support Ecology Center’s environmental and social justice mission
- Proven ability to manage and supervise at least two staff and develop a collaborative team
- Proven ability to lead and facilitate a coalition, stakeholder group, or community of practice
- Proven ability for developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with clients and non-profit partners, government agencies, policy-makers, funders, other stakeholders, and members of the public
- Demonstrated success managing or coordinating government grants
Proven ability to successfully utilize traditional and social media marketing tools and strategies
- Proven ability to manage subcontractors and consultants to achieve high quality outcomes in a timely and effective manner
- Proven ability to provide technical assistance and/or and communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience
- Ability to process documents and data with accuracy and efficiency
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, group e-mail, GoogleDocs and social media sites; experience newsletter layout is a plus
- Ability to work independently to organize and perform assigned work on a daily and weekly basis
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Ability to travel up to 20% time
- Regularly talk or hear up to 7 hours a day;
- Regularly sit, type, and use the mouse up to 7 hours a day;
- Regularly sit and stand from chair up to 20 times a day;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms;
- Regularly climb stairs and/or take elevator;
- Occasionally get in and out of car up to 6 times a day;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty five (25) pounds
- Use of a computer keyboard and monitor for a major portion of working hours
- Must operate standard office equipment, copier, telephones
- Spanish and/or other language proficiency a plus
- Experience with farmers’ markets or farm direct sales a plus
- Experience working on food or farming policy
- Direct experience as a CalFresh, WIC or other federal benefit program recipient
Full-time, exempt position; starting pay range is $56,000 to $64,500, depending on qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting pay rate. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully paid employee medical, dental, optional vision plan, fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and EcoStore discount.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com. Please add “FF Program Manager” in the e-mail subject line. Please note that all application materials must be submitted to be considered for an interview.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position may close at any time. First round review of application materials will begin November 30th, 2020.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.