ECOLOGY CENTER BACKGROUND
The Ecology Center is a 51-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
The goal of the program is to create greater healthy food choices for low-income and underserved populations and drive additional customers/income to mid- sized family farmers.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Food & Farming Program Coordinator supports the Program Manager in coordinating the California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets (the Alliance) and in executing project goals and work-plan. The Program Coordinator also supports projects and program efforts to advance CalFresh/SNAP access and healthy food incentives nationally in a farm-direct setting (farmers’ markets, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs, and farm stands.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and one year of general work experience, or three years of general work experience, including at least one year coordinating or managing projects, programs or grants.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Ecology Center mission and vision.
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations.
- Passionate about working to build sustainable and equitable food systems; knowledge of farmers’ markets and federal food assistance programs (SNAP, WIC, SSI/SSDI) ● Proven ability to provide technical assistance and/or and communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience.
- Ability to process documents and data with accuracy and efficiency.
- Proven ability in developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with clients, non profit partners, other stakeholders, and/or members of the public.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, group e-mail, GoogleDocs, and social media sites; experience with Adobe suite and/or graphic design and newsletter layout is a plus.
- Ability to work independently to organize and perform assigned work on a daily and weekly basis.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience even when in conflict.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least two years experience coordinating or managing projects, programs, or grants
- Experience working for and commitment to building sustainable food systems
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese
- Experience working with farmers’ market managers, farmers, and vendors
- Direct experience with the CalFresh/SNAP or WIC programs
Salary and Benefits
Full-time, non-exempt position; starting hourly rate is $21.20 to $27.01 depending on qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting pay rate. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully paid employee medical, dental, optional vision plan, fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/.
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to Rosio Almaguer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add “FF Coordinator” to the email subject line.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position posting may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.