Part Time (20 hrs. per week) Hourly Exempt Position
The Ecology Center’s mission is to promote environmentally and socially responsible practices through programs that educate, demonstrate, and provide direct services. Each of our programs shares the common purpose of educating the public about environmental problems, injustices, and viable solutions, thus empowering individuals and community groups to work for change.
Farm Fresh Choice is the Ecology Center’s food justice program that engages low-income residents of south and west Berkeley in reclaiming their optimal health through youth empowerment, nutrition education and community outreach that reaffirms our collective ancestral wisdom and our relationship to nourishing foods. The program makes fresh, organic, regionally grown, and culturally appropriate foods convenient for purchase at after school programs through partnerships with local farmers that reflect our communities of color.
Adult mentors and teen leaders facilitate peer-education workshops that raise critical health awareness and teach holistic wellness that builds off of our sacred food cultures.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Outreach Education Coordinator, Latino Campaign is responsible for planning and providing youth development and outreach activities under the supervision and in coordination with the Program Manager in the Latino Population. The OEC, is responsible for preparing and conducting Farm Fresh Choice outreach and education at events, presentations and youth trainings.
- Knowledge of food justice issues and experience working for and commitment to building sustainable food systems
- Cultural competencies to effectively work with Latino and African American youth and communities
- Conversational Spanish fluency
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- One year experience with and enjoy working with youth and the public
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong networking and group collaboration abilities
- Valid CA driver’s license
- First Aid and CPR Certification (or willingness to become certified)
- Ability to work outdoors in any weather and to lift at least 30 pounds
The successful candidate will have most of these attributes:
- Ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including farmers, vendors, customers, neighbors and other members of the public
- Flexibility and creativity, ability to “think on your feet” and find appropriate solutions to unique challenges
- Ability to effectively supervise the youth, facilitators, project assistants, and volunteers
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Competency with word processing, spreadsheet, database and graphic computer applications in a Mac computer environment
- Demonstrable ability to effectively resolve conflicts
For more information and full job description: (510) 848-1704 or ecologycenter.org/jobs
$14.75hr, plus medical, dental, vacation & holiday benefits & 401k
Submit cover letter, resume, and Ecology Center Job Application form to Ecology Center, Farm Fresh Choice Program, 2530 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94702, or fax to (510) 548-2240, attention: Farm Fresh Choice or email to email@example.com. Application available at ecologycenter.org/jobs
Deadline to apply:
June 25th, 2013 or until filled
We value diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA Farm Fresh Choice is a program of the Ecology Center