Hourly, non-exempt position
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 46-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. We have low staff turnover and provide great benefits. If you are passionate, talented, and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Farmers’ Market Assistant Manager On-Call works under the direction of the Market Manager, Operations Manager, and/or Program Manager onsite to set-up, manage, and break-down Ecology Center’s farmers’ markets. The Assistant Manager also works, as required, in the Ecology Center office providing operational and administrative support on non-market days. The job involves 10-16 hours at markets and/or in the office each week, as needed.
- Perform and support all duties related to operating Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, and in accordance with the goals and strategies of the Ecology Center mission and strategic plan.
- Assist in management of the Ecology Center farmers’ markets including market set-up and breakdown, vendor parking-in, signage, load list distribution and collection, info booth set-up and staffing, volunteer coordination, token distribution, and other market activities.
- Provide excellent customer service through customer interactions including token distribution, selling merchandise, and answering questions.
- Perform post-market duties including deposit preparation and financial tracking, sorting recycling/compost, cleaning soiled receptacles and/or tables, replacing and/or repair any damaged equipment, restocking merchandise/supplies.
- Ensure that all market monies received are handled safely following established cash-handling procedures; oversee and assist in the preparation of market deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds, and prepare change and tokens to be used in the following market.
- Track and report information from at-market tracking documents including market log, token distribution log, and receipt book to keep a reference of the market’s activities and financials.
- Perform administrative duties including answering phones, responding to emails, attending meetings and events.
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations.
- Proven ability to assist in the management of on-site operations for the farmers’ market or similar small business enterprise.
- Competency with word processing, spreadsheet, database in a Mac computer environment and ability and willingness to learn new applications as needed.
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including farmers, vendors, customers, neighbors and other members of the public.
- The ability and willingness to monitor and enforce policies vendors and the public.
- Flexibility and creativity, ability to “think on your feet” and find appropriate solutions to unique challenges.
- Strong verbal communications skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Must be able to produce a current CA driver’s license.
- First Aid and CPR Certification (or willingness to become certified).
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED preferred
- One year of prior work experience.
Salary and Benefits
The position is non-exempt, part-time, on-call, and typically involves 10-16 hours at markets and / or in
the office, per week, as needed. Starting hourly rate is $15-$17 depending on experience.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in PDF format to
Open until filled. Please apply early, as this position may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly
incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA