Temporary, Hourly, Part-time
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 45-year-old nonprofit located in west Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Canvassers will work within Ecology Center’s Youth Development Program. They will be supporting Measure D, Berkeley’s Soda tax, via community outreach, canvassing and phone banking. Measure D is a penny-per-ounce tax on the distribution of sodas and other sugary beverages to benefit community and school-based nutrition education.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Canvassers work in a team supervised by a Precinct Captain and go door-to-door to inform voters about the measure and to persuade them to vote YES on behalf of the measure. Canvassers will meet the Precinct Captain(s) at pre-determined locations in the field. The goal is to identify voters who support the tax, voters who oppose it, and voters who are undecided. Tracking and reporting will be required. Each canvasser will be trained before going door-to-door. Canvassers may also do phone banking at the campaign headquarters. Shifts will be primarily evenings and weekends.
- Meet Precinct Captain in pre-determined locations
- Go door to door following voter lists, instructions, and scripts seeking support from voters
- Make calls to likely voters seeking support for the measure
- Distribute campaign materials
- Track and report results
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational polices
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of food justice issues and experience working for and commitment to building sustainable food systems preferred
- Cultural competencies to effectively work with a wide range of voters from a broad spectrum of background
- Experience with and enjoy working with youth and the public
- Experience canvassing
- Strong abilities to work in a team
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Ability to follow instructions and conduct oneself in a safe and appropriate manner
- Ability to arrive at any location in Berkeley and walk door-to-door in any weather
Canvasser positions offer 10 – 12 hours a week from September 6, 2014 – November 8, 2014. Shifts are available on weekdays from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm, and Saturday mornings.
All potential candidates must be available for an on-boarding and training session on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at 4:00 pm.
Wage is $10 per hour. This position does not receive health benefits.
How to Apply:
- Application materials can be downloaded at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/. Printed materials are also available at Ecology Center’s store, located at 2530 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley CA, during store hours. Store hours are Tuesdays through Sundays from 11:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- For applicants younger than 18 years old, please submit a completed application, and a completed Minor Work Permit form. An authorized school administrator from the candidate’s high school must sign the Work Permit. An appropriate administrator can usually be found in a school’s registration, or counseling/college-counseling department.
- For applicants 18 years old or older, please submit a completed release for a background check and a completed application.
- Send all application materials to Elyse Rainey, Youth Development Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org Sending applications via email is preferred, but hard copies of application materials will also be accepted at the Ecology Center store during store open hours.
Sunday, September 7, 2014 by 6:00 pm
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE