ECOLOGY CENTER BACKGROUND
The Ecology Center’s mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
The Ecology Center is actively working to create and promote an alternative, local, food system that is based on the values of environmental protection, justice, and access to healthy, sustainably produced food for all. For more than 30 years, the Berkeley Farmers’ Markets, operated by the Ecology Center, have created much-needed marketing outlets for California’s small and mid-sized farmers and small business food purveyors; vital community gathering space; and healthy food access points for the Berkeley community and beyond.
Operations During COVID-19
The Berkeley Farmers’ Markets are considered an essential business for the purposes of COVID-19 (C-19) containment. As such, the markets remain open, and staff are actively making operational changes at the markets to protect customers, farmers, and staff to mitigate the spread of disease. This position requires work, both at the farmers’ market, and time working from home performing office duties. Once it is safe to do so, this position will resume working in the office from our office in Berkeley, California.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Ecology Center is seeking a Farmers’ Market Program Manager to lead the Berkeley Farmers’ Market Program. The Program Manager works under the supervision of the Food and Farming Program Director to oversee all aspects of the three Berkeley farmers’ markets, as well as on-site management of one or more of the markets on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. This is a full-time position, generally with a five day work week, often including Saturdays…
- Develop plans, policies, goals, and objectives for the Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, and in accordance with the goals and strategies of the Ecology Center mission and strategic plan; Ensure that all markets operate in compliance with applicable State and local laws and regulations, as well as with the Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets Policies.
- Develop and adhere to annual budget, monitor departmental expenses, grant income and expenses, provide financial projections for program activities; Collaborate with Program Director and Development Director to fundraise, including submitting grant proposals, participating in events, and cultivating membership and donors.
- Manage the Saturday market including market set-up and breakdown, stall fee collections, signage, load list distribution and collection, EC booth staffing, volunteer coordination, and all other market activities. Manage Tuesday and Thursday markets as needed, in collaboration with Operations Manager and other staff.
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate performance of, and schedule Farmers’ Market staff; develop Farmers’ Market collaborative team in managing all aspects of all Farmers’ Market operations.
- Recruit and select farmers and other vendors in order to maintain full and balanced markets with input from staff and advisory committees in accordance with Ecology Center mission and strategic goals; Field inquiries via phone and email from vendors; Lead efforts to on-board, train, and when necessary, take disciplinary action with farmers and other vendors.
- Plan and execute outreach, marketing and promotional strategies to attract new shoppers and increase repeat shoppers though advertising, social marketing, on-line, and event approaches; Oversee the preparation and distribution of monthly farmers’ market newsletter
- Collaborate with Program Director in developing and maintaining excellent relationships with key City of Berkeley staff, community leaders, business owners and associations, community groups and partners in order to promote and advance the Berkeley Farmers’ Markets; act as lead Farmers’ Market liaison to county and city staff in order to ensure Farmers’ Market operation in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Ensure timely submission of accurate staff time cards, invoices, deposits, inventory, and sales reports.
- Ensure that market staff observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Ensure that all market monies received are handled safely following established cash-handling procedures and that deposits are prepared within 24 hours of receipt of funds.
- Work with other Ecology Center staff to coordinate Farmers’ Market activities with Ecology Center programs and events; participate in weekly staff meetings and organization-wide strategic planning, promotion, and events.
- Build and maintain good relationships with vendors, customers, restaurants/chefs, and community members.
- Effectively resolve conflicts and solve problems with speed and diplomacy.
- Ensure execution of, provide input on, and attend Community Advisory Committee meetings.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Meet regularly with the Food and Farming Program Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Demonstrated ability to build farmers’ markets as a successful business, or similar small business enterprise
- Proven ability to manage and supervise at least 3 staff and develop a collaborative team
- General environmental, farming, or social justice knowledge and literacy to support the Ecology Center’s environmental and social justice mission
- Broad and deep knowledge of sustainable food systems, food justice, and related topics
- Competency with word processing, spreadsheet, database in a Mac computer environment and ability and willingness to learn new applications as needed
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including city officials, businesses, chefs, farmers, vendors, customers, neighbors and other members of the public.
- Demonstrable ability to effectively resolve conflict and have sound judgment under pressure
- The ability and willingness to monitor and enforce policies with staff, vendors, and the public
- Flexibility and creativity, ability to “think on your feet” and find appropriate solutions to unique challenges
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Regularly talk or hear up to 8 hours a day
- Regularly sit, type, and use the mouse up to 7 hours a day
- Regularly sit and stand from a chair up to 20 times a day
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Regularly drive a vehicle of approximately 20ft, usually during daylight hours in dry conditions, but occasionally in the evening hours and in wet conditions
- Regularly stand, kneel, climb, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms
- Regularly lift, carry and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally climb stairs and/or take elevator
- Occasionally get in and out of car up to 6 times a day
- Regularly stand and walk for up to 9 hours at a time
- Regularly work outdoors in all kinds of weather and conditions
- Conversational Spanish fluency is preferred.
- Experience with or training in mental health first aid, safety, and de-escalation preferred.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or five years of related work experience.
- Two years of farmers’ market or closely related small business management experience working directly with the public and diverse communities.
This position is full-time, approximately 40 hours per week, generally with a Tuesday through Saturday workweek.
Starting salary range is $59,000 – $64,500, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting salary. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and paid employee medical, dental, and optional vision plan.
How to Apply:
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/.
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to Carle Brinkman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please use “FM Program Manager” in subject line.
Please apply early as this position may close at any time. DEADLINE for applications is Thursday August 26th, 2021 11:59pm.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.