Hourly, non-exempt position
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 46-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate, talented, and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Administrative Coordinator engages visitors to the Ecology Center, assisting the public with their requests, coordinating volunteers, and serving as backup clerk for our EcoStore. This position provides administrative, facilities, and board support; assists with outreach and events; performs careful data entry; and coordinates the BASIL seed library. The Administrative Associate reports to Director of Education and Engagement.
- Greet and welcome visitors to the EC, provide information and direction to customers and clients; receive and direct incoming phone calls, emails, and mail.
- Provide backup support to the EcoStore; operate cash register and assist customers as needed throughout the day and during EcoStore staff breaks.
- Manage and coordinate volunteer staff, including review of volunteer applications, conducting orientation, and placing volunteers with program staff; prepare and send volunteer newsletter.
- Provide assistance as needed with library checkout, membership sign-ups, office supply ordering, and staff meeting notes; maintain and organize a variety of administrative records.
- Provide Board support by preparing board meeting materials, ordering food, and room preparation for board meetings; provide other board support as needed.
- Maintain staff kitchen and supply closets keeping them clean and orderly; maintain office machines, first aid supplies, fire extinguishers, and emergency packs; correspond as needed to alert building and repair needs issues to building management and on-site staff.
- Provide periodic support for tabling at outside events for the Ecology Center; staff and/or assist with Ecology Center events, as needed.
- Perform a variety of support activities to the Communications and Development staff including timely, accurate data entry, funder research, correspondence, and mailings.
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain and implement improvements to the seed library; assist in planning annual seed swap.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience and interest in working with the public.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively supervise volunteers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience, even when in conflict.
- Must be detail-oriented, accurate, efficient, and well organized.
- Ability to be punctual and on-time for work shifts, dependable and responsive to deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional accuracy and attention to the quality of one’s work, particularly when performing data entry, and experience working with database(s).
- Possess strong organization skills, including a drive to make spaces organized, attractive, and efficient.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with other staff in a lively group atmosphere.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in Google Docs, Word, Excel, and willingness to acquire more technology knowledge and skills.
- Must demonstrate a ready willingness to learn about and ability to troubleshoot office machine issues, including printers, cash register, and other office equipment.
- Must be a self-starter, possessed of strong problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated interest in the Ecology Center’s work and the topics that the organization emphasizes, including food & farming, waste & recycling, climate change, and equity issues.
- Ability to contribute to a harmonious, diverse, fruitful, and supportive organizational culture.
- Prior experience with volunteer coordination
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED preferred
- Two years of experience working in an administrative capacity in an office, or two years of college level coursework, and one year of general office experience.
This position is 30 to 34 hrs/week, variable days with flexibility to work evenings and weekends, and periodically work extra hours as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation is $18 to $21/hr, depending on qualifications. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and paid employee medical, dental, and optional vision plan. Benefits pro-rated at 75 percent FTE.
How to Apply
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in PDF format to
email@example.com. Please use “Admin Coordinator” as Subject Line.
Open until filled. Please apply early, as this position may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly
incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA