Part-time; Non-exempt, Temporary; Hourly Position
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 45-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe, stable climate.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Youth Program Assistant position is a year-long employment opportunity that combines leadership and professional development with hands-on green job training. In addition to on-going responsibilities within the Youth Environmental Academy, Youth Program Assistants will regularly assist other programs such as the Farm Fresh Choice program, Berkeley Farmer’s Markets, Ecology Center’s store and events. Youth Program Assistants must also take part in a formal mentorship program that focuses on professional development. Youth Program Assistants report to the Youth Development Program Manager. Youth Program Assistants should be prepared for intense career/academic planning and leadership training.
The Youth Program Assistant supports youth leadership within Ecology Center’s Youth Environmental Academy. Within the Youth Environmental Academy, the Youth Program Assistant supports youth event planning, training on environmental literacy, administrative tasks, and communications for youth interns. Within the Farm Fresh Choice program, Youth Program Assistants are responsible for the coordination and oversight of the community produce stands – including, set-up and break-down, supervising youth interns, market sales, and cash handling.
- Supervise youth interns at Farm Fresh Choice produce stands, Ecology Center events and farmer’s markets. Ensure that youth comply with organizational safety policies.
- Ensure all of Ecology Center’s cash-handling and finance procedures are followed including submitting invoices to finance department within one week of produce purchase, and assisting in the preparation of market deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds.
- Support and possibly lead environmental literacy training, plan and carry out youth events, serve as liaison between youth interns and staff, and assist with Youth Environmental Academy communications and data entry/data management.
- Conduct and oversee canvassing and outreach within local neighborhoods and at community events to promote Youth Environmental Academy and Farm Fresh Choice.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Essential duties may also include event support, event planning, produce sales, cash handling, customer service and community engagement.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Five completed Root of Success modules or equivalent environmental literacy training.
- One year on-the-job experience working for an environmental, health or sustainable food and farming organization/business, such as our Youth Internship
- Demonstrated leadership ability, and ability to successfully work independently.
- Computer skills such as e-mail, word processing, and other professional applications.
- Former experience as a Youth Environmental Academy Scholar or Ecology Center Youth Intern preferred.
- Ability to work outdoors in any weather.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to twenty five (25) pounds
15 hours a week, for a one-year term starting in January 2016. Must be available either Tuesday or Sundays.
$13 per hour
How to Apply:
- Submit a completed Ecology Center application. Click here to access application.
- Submit a cover letter telling us why you would be a good candidate for this position. Tell us about your past experiences and skills that have prepared you for this position. Cover letters should be 500 words or less.
Please email all application materials as attachments to Elyse Rainey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed application materials can also be dropped off at Ecology Center’s reception desk Tuesdays through Sundays from 11:00 am – 6:00 pm. Ecology Center is located at 2530 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA
If you are receiving support with your application or cover letter from a case manager, mentor, or another adult ally, please provide the name and phone number of your helper in your cover letter and, if applicable, the organization they work for.
Please apply as soon as possible as this position may close at any time. Applications will not be accepted for this posting after November 11, 2015.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA