The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 52-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation’s first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
The Ecology Center Store is open to the public and provides products that encourage environmentally and socially responsible lifestyle practices and sustainable gift giving. We stock books, housewares, green gifts, organic gardening supplies, toys, games, recycled paper products and glassware, organic fibers, and much more. Our hours of operation are 11 am to 6 pm, Tuesday through Sunday. During the month of December, we have extended hours on Fridays and Saturdays, from 11 am until 7 pm.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Store Program Associate On-Call Keyholder is responsible for assisting with all store operations and provides backup for management of the Store in the absence of the Store Program Manager. Duties include opening and closing Store, inclusive of counting in and counting out the cash drawer and creating deposits, sales and customer service, receiving shipment, stocking, displays, and occasional event staffing. The Store Program On-Call Keyholder reports directly to the Store Program Manager.
- Assist in conducting daily customer service and sales and act as manager in Store Program Manager’s absence.
- Be knowledgeable of and perform sales support functions related to point of sale procedures.
- Maintain ability to work independently using the resources that are made available during onboarding.
- Continuously bring a proactive approach to each scheduled shift that aligns with the expectations of this role.
- Assist in processing orders that are submitted through an online platform.
- Receive, price, and stock store inventory.
- Prepare daily sales reports.
- Assist in conducting annual inventory for year-end closing.
- Ensure that all store monies received are handled safely following established cash-handling procedures.
- Assist in the preparation of store deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds.
- Assist in creation of store displays.
- Assist in development and implementation of marketing strategies, including social media campaigns.
- Ensure that store staff and customers observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational, local, state, and federal safety policies and requirements, including COVID-19 protocols related to sanitizing work and public areas, wearing facial coverings, ensuring that customers wear facial coverings, and ensuring social distancing in public areas.
- Maintain awareness of Store space and customers at all times.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Retail and cash handling experience
- High School Diploma/GED or at least one year of work experience
- Interest in sustainability, environmental issues or gardening.
- Experience with and enjoy working with the public
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Must be detail oriented, accurate, efficient and well organized
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to:
- Regularly talk or hear up to 6 hours a day;
- Regularly sit, type, and use the mouse up to 7 hours a day;
- Regularly sit and stand from chair up to 20 times a day;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms;
- Occasionally climb stairs and/or take elevator;
- Occasionally get in and out of car up to 4 times a day;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty five (35) pounds.
- Regularly wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth for the entire length of shift (if current covid protocols require).
- Regularly sanitize hands, wipe down surfaces, and ensure a clean and safe environment.
This is a part-time, temporary position. Work hours vary, Monday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., average of 7 to 14 hours per week, occasionally more; must be available to work weekends, the day after Thanksgiving, and evenings.
Starting hourly pay rate is $19.67 to $21.64, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting pay rate.
How to Apply:
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/.
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in .pdf format to Sandra Kozma-Kennedy at email@example.com. Please use “Store Program Associate-On-Call Keyholder” in subject line. All application materials must be submitted in order to be considered for an interview.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position posting may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.