- This event has passed.
From the Basque Country to the Bay Area: A Cooperative Report Back
Wednesday | June 18, 2014 | 6:30 pm — 8:30 pm
La Peña Cultural Center | 3105 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705
Presentation and Panel Discussion
Join Food First for a conversation on global and local models of cooperative production as an alternative to the corporate, extractive economy. Panelists will discuss examples of alternative, community-based economies in the Basque Country and the Bay Area.
In March, 2014, Food First sponsored a Food Sovereignty Tour to Basque country, hosted by EHNE-Bizkaia, the Basque Farmers Union. The delegation had the unique opportunity to learn how cooperative production, agriculture and food play key economic and social roles within Basque society by preserving important threatened traditions.
Members of the delegation will report back on their experiences, joined by Bay Area leaders of the cooperative movement including the Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives (NoBawc) and the Sustainable Economy Law Center (SELC).
- Hank Herrera, Bay Area food justice activist and Basque Country delegation participant
- Ricardo Nuñez, Sustainable Economies Law Center, coordinator of the Resilient
- Communities Legal Cafe, a program that provides direct legal support to individuals and groups creating new solutions for resilient economies in the East Bay.
- Peter Ruddock, Bay Area food activist and Basque Country delegation participant
- NoBAWC: The Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives is a network of worker cooperatives dedicated to building workplace democracy in the San Francisco Bay Area
Co-sponsored by Food First, the Sustainable Economies Law Center and the Network of Bay Area Worker CooperativesVisit Event Website >>