House Ag Committee is Still Marking Up the Farm Bill! Take Action!

This latest Farm Bill update came today:
“We are very disappointed to see that the House Ag Committee rejected two amendments proposing to restore cuts to SNAP.
Call your Representative and let them know that you oppose any cuts to SNAP.
We are pleased to report that the House Ag Committee has passed:

  • Rep. Johnson’s (R-IL) Amendment #62 that provides new authority to Community Food Projects program to support programs providing incentives to SNAP customers purchasing fruits and vegetables at farmers markets
  • Rep. Pingree’s (D-ME) Amendment #26 (Pingree D-ME) that allows SNAP participants to use their benefits to pay in advance for food provided through a CSA share

But we still need your help! The House Agriculture Committee is still in the process of marking up the Farm Bill.
Contact your Representative immediately and tell them to support:

  • Amendment #3 introduced by Rep. Pingree (D-ME) that would allow schools in small districts to use some of their commodity entitlement for local purchases and establish demonstration projects in at least 10 states to test alternative farm to school procurement models
  • Amendment #103 introduced by Rep. Cardoza (D-CA) that would strike the provision in the House bill to expand the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program to allow frozen, canned and dried fruits beyond its current focus of fresh produce
  • Amendment #50 introduced by Rep. Fudge (D-OH) to permit Farm Service Agency to make loans to youth farmers in cities
  • Amendment #51 introduced by Rep. Fudge (D-OH) to authorize grants and loans for retail in underserved communities through the Healthy Food Financing Initiative
  • Amendment #55 introduced by Rep. Walz (D-MN), Rep. Noem (R-SD), Fortenberry (R-NE) to protect conservation programs and support beginning farmers

Call Now!
Call your Representative right now and ask them to renew and strenghten these programs by matching Senate funding levels in the House version of the Farm Bill! It’s easy to call! You can get your Representative’s name and direct number by going to and typing in your zip code. You can also call the Capitol Switchboard, provide your Representative’s name and be directly connected to their: (202) 225-3121.”
[Photo by Jeannette E. Spaghetti]

Return to Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *