1 in 3 kids will develop diabetes, yet kids are drinking more sugar than ever. Learn how sugary drinks affect kids’ health and how the soda industry is targeting kids and people of color to grow their profits. Moderated by Anna Lappé. Kids welcome!
Sponsors: MomsRising, Berkeley Federation of Teachers, Berkeley Youth Alternatives, Malcolm X PTA
- Anna Lappe, Author, Founder of Small Planet Institute (moderator)
- Lori Dorfman, DrPH, Director, Berkeley Media Studies Group
- Xavier Morales, PhD, Director, Latino Coalition for a Healthy California
- Kristine Madsen, MD, Pediatrician and Research Scientist, UCSF
- Vicki Alexander, MD, MPH, retired Maternal Child & Adolescent Health Director and Health Officer for the City of Berkeley
Does our future health and economy depend on what we drink? Soda: the Series offers conversations about sugary drinks and their impact on the health of our families, community and environment. Experts will discuss the science of sugary drinks, tactics of the soda industry, and disease prevention efforts. These events take place in the run-up to the November election, when Berkeley will vote on Measure D, a tax on sugary drinks. Soda: the Series is sponsored by the Berkeley Healthy Child Coalition, Ecology Center, Public Health Institute, Prevention Institute and Small Planet Institute.