- This event has passed.
The Science of Sugar & the Bitter Impact on Health
Thursday | September 04, 2014 | 7:00 pm
Hillside Club | 2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley, CA 94709
Are all calories the same? What’s all the fuss about sugar? Sugary drinks are causing health epidemics and driving up medical costs. Robert Lustig, John Swartzberg and other experts will share the latest research and discuss the impact on our future.
- Robert Lustig MD, pediatric endocrinologist, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
- John Swartzberg MD, Editor of the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter
- June Tester, MD, Children’s Hospital Oakland
- Pat Crawford DrPH, Director, Atkins Center for Weight and Health
- Laurie Capitelli, Berkeley Councilmember (host)
Does our future health and economy depend on what we drink? Soda: the Series offers conversations about sugary drinks and their impact on the health of our families, community and environment. Experts will discuss the science of sugary drinks, tactics of the soda industry, and disease prevention efforts. These events take place in the run-up to the November election, when Berkeley will vote on Measure D, a tax on sugary drinks. Soda: the Series is sponsored by the Berkeley Healthy Child Coalition, Ecology Center, Public Health Institute, Prevention Institute and Small Planet Institute.Visit Event Website >>