Sewing Fundamentals 101 – Tote Bag
If you have always wanted to learn to sew but never had the time or opportunity this is the class for you! Come and learn the fundamentals of operating a sewing machine, picking fabric and simple construction. In this class you will learn how to make a cute tote bag. This bag can be used for anything from carrying your lunch, to toting your sewing supplies to and from your next class.
You will learn:
- Basic sewing machine safety
- How to identify different weights of fabric
- How to identify proper grainline and why it is important
- How to prepare fabric for sewing
- How to layout pattern pieces and cut fabric
- Proper pinning technique
- How to understand seam allowance
- How to sew a straight seam
- Proper use and care of sewing tools
- Proper pressing technique
- Tips for future projects!
What to bring to class:
- Sewing machine*
- 1/2 yard of medium weight 100% cotton fabric for body of bag
- 1 1/2 yard of webbing or twill tape for bag straps
- Coordinating cotton thread
- Fabric scissors, glass or metal (no plastic!) head pins, seam ripper, pencil
* If you need to rent a sewing machine for use during class, please add Sewing Machine Rental to your cart along with your class.
- Event Phone:
- Event URL:
- Wheelchair Accessibility: