Mead Making Workshop
Explore the mysteries of honey wine and make your own delicious herbal mead. Sample curious and rare varieties of this ancient drink, including one made with bee venom. Learn the art and science of fermenting with honey and herbs, and take home a custom-designed mead-making manual and a few choice bottles of our special herb-infused brew, just in time for Spring.
In this workshop, we’ll explore:
– the magical lore of honey wine: from Zeus to Beowulf, the Aztecs to Queen Anne.
– metheglin, cyser, pyment, melomel, hippocras, and other honey-based beverages
– the health properties of honey and mead, and how one man lived to be 120 years old surviving on honey alone.
– how to infuse your mead with fruits, spices, and medicinal herbs.
We’ll sample curious, experimental meads from around the world, including a Viking-style mead made with bee venom. And of course we’ll make our own batch of herbal mead! Students will go home with a detailed instructional manual and recipes for brewing their own batches. After a month of fermenting, bottles of the mead we brewed in class will be ready for you to pick up at Homestead.
Space is limited, register online.
- Event Phone:
- Event URL:
- Wheelchair Accessibility: