Is Soda the New Tobacco?
Why does our nation’s health depend on the tactics of the soda industry? “Big Soda” is spending millions to confuse the public and prevent action in the face of growing scientific evidence, just as “Big Tobacco” did before them. Speakers including Stanton Glantz and Mark Pertschuk will explore the parallels in these fights for a healthier future.
- Stanton Glantz, PhD, Professor of Medicine, UCSF
- Mark Pertschuk, JD, Director of Grassroots Change, former Director of Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights
- Lynn Silver, MD MPH, Senior Advisor, Public Health Institute
- Holly Scheider, MPH, Berkeley Healthy Child Coalition – moderator
Program at 6:00pm, reception at 5:30pm
Does our future health and economy depend on what we drink? Soda: the Series offers conversations about sugary drinks and their impact on the health of our families, community and environment. Experts will discuss the science of sugary drinks, tactics of the soda industry, and disease prevention efforts. These events take place in the run-up to the November election, when Berkeley will vote on Measure D, a tax on sugary drinks. Soda: the Series is sponsored by the Berkeley Healthy Child Coalition, Ecology Center, Public Health Institute, Prevention Institute and Small Planet Institute.
- Event Phone:
- Event URL:
- Wheelchair Accessibility: