Fibershed’s Wool and Fine Fiber Symposium: Climate and the Clothes We Wear
Join Fibershed for the Second Annual Wool & Fine Fiber Symposium. The event will run from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, with a post-symposium BBQ at Valley Ford Mercantile & Wool Mill, starting at 5:30.
This year’s Symposium moves forward with the ‘Cool Clothes Campaign’ through detailing the best soil-to-skin practices for reversing climate change, including land management practices for healthier pasture, healthier animals and higher quality fiber.
Among the speakers are rangeland scientists reporting on the results of five years of soil carbon analysis on grazed lands. Following upward through the supply chain we will hear the voices of emerging young sheep ranchers, we will share our research on the California Wool Mill Project, and provide our findings on the six-month-long wool inventory project.
- John Wick – Sky to Skin: a Vision for Climate Beneficial Clothing
- Jeff Creque – Discussion of the New Demonstration of Carbon Farming; results of five years of soil carbon research
- Torri Estrada – The policy vision for funding carbon sequestration on grazed lands
- Brittany Cole Bush – Ancient Futures: A New Generation of Shepherdess — intersection of technology and flock management
- Robert Irwin – A New Generation Shepherd: Stories from emerging economic and old school genetic models
- Aaron Gilliam – Natural Medicine and New Generation Flock Management
- Fibershed – Wool inventory project and wool mill feasibility study update
A Few Details:
Coffee and tea will be provided, as well as some light appetizers. Bring your own lunch, or eat in one of the wonderful restaurants or delis in town.
There is plenty of parking in the lot behind the Dance Palace, or on the street. Fibershed vendors will be selling their beautiful wares when the doors open at 9:15. Click here for a Google map.
• Current Fibershed Producer members who attend the symposium will have their membership extended for another year.
• Qualified producers who attend the symposium will receive one year’s membership in the Fibershed Producer program.
Special Post-Symposium Event: Valley Ford Mercantile & Wool Mill is hosting an evening BBQ and potluck after the Symposium, starting at 5:30. If you would like to attend the post-Symposium event, please RSVP to Kathleen by email.
The address for the post-Symposium event is 14390 Hwy 1, Valley Ford. From Point Reyes Station, drive north on Hwy 1 for 22 miles, take a left at the stop sign and continue 1.5 miles to Valley Ford.
- Event e-mail:
- Event URL:
- Wheelchair Accessibility: