Ecology Center Event
Family Fun Festival
The Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets’ 9th annual Family Fun Festival — “a whole day of free fun for the whole family” — co-sponsored by the Downtown Berkeley YMCA; the City of Berkeley, Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Dept.; BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit); and Parents’ Press. Featuring hands-on activities, games, contests, performances, and informational booths.
- Bouncy House (YMCA)
- Build Giant Castles from Boxes and Egg Cartons, make Straw Rockets, and more with Sticky Art Lab.
- “Create-With-Nature Zone” with environmental artist Zach Pine–a collaborative artistic expression with stones, branches, shells, pine cones, flowers, and other wonders of nature.
- DOOF (FOOD backwards): Spin the DOOF WHEEL and answer Fun Food Trivia Questions to win special prizes. Enter a raffle by submitting your COOLEST, GOOFIEST and DOOFIEST extraterrestrial character or food drawing for a chance to contribute a drawing or record your own voice for the Planet DOOF computer game for kids!
- Eazy Breezy Bike Smoothies created by pedal power
- Face Painting (YMCA)
- Farm Animal Encounter Area (baby goats, chickens, pigs, etc.) courtesy of Riverdog Farm and Redwood Hill Farm.
- Farm Fresh Choice, the Ecology Centers’ food justice program
- Green Branch “reading room” — local justice and environmentally themed library for youth of all ages & their families and educators.
- Hands-On Craft Booth–making hats, crowns, & masks with the East Bay Depot for Creative ReUse
- Painting with Glob (of Berkeley’s) fruit & veggie based paints.
- Soccer for children & parents (YMCA)
- Zine Making Station for kids & adults with Rad Daddies & Mamas. All the materials to create your own zine and share your story. (Rad Dad, SF Bay Guardian’s Best Local Zine, 2011; Utne Magazine’s Independent Media Award for Best Zine, 2009.)
- 11am-2pm – Hula Hoop Contests (who can keep it going longest) (City of Berkeley, Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Dept.; YMCA)
- 12:00 noon – Asheba performing Caribbean music for children. His 2009 CD, In the Kid Zone, was on the Grammy Award nominations ballot for “Best Musical Album for Children.” He’s headlined two Putumayo Kids’ Records national tours and been featured on three of their compilation CDs. His award winning recordings have been featured on in-flight kids’ programming on both United and Continental Airlines.
- 1pm – Family Dance (everyone invited) (YMCA)
- 11am-3pm – Skateboard Contest (City of Berkeley, Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Dept.)
- 10:30am-11:30am, 2pm-3pm – “Strawberry Walks” (like a cake walk only you win strawberries) (City of Berkeley, Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Dept.)
This event is partially funded by the City of Berkeley Civic Arts Program.
Where: Saturday Berkeley Farmers’ Market & Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Park, Berkeley. Accessibility: Convenient public transportation (1 block from downtown Berkeley BART), nearby lot & street parking.
Plan your trip using the BART trip planner at bart.gov.
- Wheelchair Accessibility: